.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

it's Christmas!

I can't believe that it's 4 days until Christmas. To me, it still doesn't "feel christmassy" - whatever that means. We've got our tree up - it's been up since Dec 1, I've been involved in our church Christmas production, and attended numerous Christmas parties - even Carols in the Domain, but it still doesn't feel like Christmas!

I'm even at the point where I'm watching Christmas movies to get into the swing of things - I watched Elf last night, and I tried to find a copy of "Ernest Saves Christmas" (our family's ultimate Christmas movie), but I think the year's worn me out too much!

I was discussing this with one of the girls at work, and we decided that the reason that we don't "feel christmassy" is because we're the ones who organise christmas now. We shop for the presents, we organise the parties. When we were youn
ger, everything was done for us. Presents were mysteries, Father Christmas was real, and there was a surprise around every corner. Now it's one of the busiest times of the year. I understand now why my parents were always so tired around Christmas!

This isn't a bah humbug post, it's probably more of a lament that I'm not as young as I'd like to think I am....gosh - getting old at the grand old age of 24!

But then again, in 2 days I'll be at my parents house, where a combination of kids, animals, noise, as well as cricket on the TV and jigsaw puzzles mid-completion will make me feel like I'm 10 again :) (I've always said that it's not Christmas until it's HOT, there's cricket on the TV, and mum's doing a jigsaw puzzle...)

Comments:
you know, Paula - i felt just the same this year! even though it has now come and gone, it didn't feel like Christmas.. . even though we had the snow and all the 'stuff' - it was just weird. We had a great Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning. . . Christmas afternoon and evening was spent with some 'once a year family' and it was prob my least favourite -- blah. and now we're broke!!! LOL! Sounds like you had fun in spite of it too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home